BeHaVe is one of the Croatian most prominent bands lately. Band released its fifth song and video in which a renowned brand of harmonica is a main star, performed in very popular HTV show 'Garaža', begun to record material for a new album, performs live a lot... Many good reasons to sit down and talk about their work.
BeHaVe is a band formed from very experienced Croatian musicians: Davor Bunčića Buna, Zoran Haraminčić Hara and Vedran Žanko (hence, BeHaVe), but Žanko left the band some time ago so BeHaVe now performs as five-piece: Buna, Hara, Miro Bjelajac, Robert Jurčec Muha and Hrvoje Šolić.
We sat down and talked through many topics with band's frontman: Davor Bunčić Buna.
Your debut author album One of These Days was released in 2017 although was band formed in 2013. Why were you waiting so long to get published? The band was spontaneously formed and ideas we had get realized also when we had time.
- The name of the band first time appeared on the compilation album "Blues for you - Tribute to Dražen Buhin - Buha" - it seems that this album is very important to you in so many ways?
Yes. Album was real start of our band and means a lot to us.
Public that does not follow our blues scene has probably heard about Dražen Buhin-Buha but most likely does not know why was he so important - who was Buha?
- Buha was organizer of Croatian blues scene and really mad to join Croatian Blues Forces to International Blues scene in Memphis, Tennessee, USA.
All of you members play in several bands at the time - is BeHaVe the most important thing for you and why?
- Other bands, "Ben Dover" band turns 16 years of continuous work now. "Swing That Blues!" about 7 years. Both bands are playing continuously. Actually, it is a good „fitness stuff“ for BeHaVe's original music engagement as well as my recent ethno project I started.
BeHaVe is relatively young band (one album so far), but you guys are experienced and mature musicians - it is not often that one forms an author band so late in life - and yet, you are very active. What drives you?
- Hard thing is to explain what drives me. I simply love music and maybe this is the main thing.
What do your family and friends have to say about your engagement in the band? Do you come across comments such as "middle life crisis"?
- I have not problems with that. All members of my family have their own hobbies. We support each other.
You play a number of music genres, from r'n'r, americana, swing... but blues dominates - what blues means to you in your life? Where that love comes from?
- I was raised in era of blues music popularization, as I was in the UK and USA that time. I was surrounded with it and I loved that time period. That love exists now as well.
You are uniquely active - also as members of Society Croatian Blues Forces - how would you describe Croatian blues scene in comparison to other EU countries? How do you feel about "Croatian blues"?
- Scene is alive and well. As I host many bands in Hard Place club Zagreb on Tuesdays, most of the bands that performs there plays blues. Also, I really appreciate when young bands continue tradition of playing blues.
European Blues Union is very active and it it clear that many countries have their own blues scene. European Blues Challenge is held every year in other country. Croatian Blues Forces send winner of CBC two years after winning on CBC.
Recently, 11th Croatian Blues Challenge competition took place in Hard Place club. Tell us more about the competition itself, its meaning on the global scene and value of the competition.
- The competition means that winners in two categories, Solo / Duo and Band could travel to International Blues Challenge in Memphis, Tennessee. It is a big thing for musicians.
The band (BeHaVe) was the finalist of this competition in 2017. What exactly means to be a finalist - did you have certain responsibilities in promotion Croatian blues scene in the world?
- BeHaVE no, but winners made a quite nice international contacts with people from this scene.
Have you ever been in world's crib of blues, Memphis? Have you ever considered making some music in the spirit of delta blues?
- Yes. This year in January I was in Memphis at International Blues Challenge. Every Blues musician should once go there during that time. Great experience when you feel that whole town is living at the same frequency.
Let's get back to your music work in Croatia. Your first author album "One of these days" is fully sung in English, as well as your new material. Why you have decided exclusively for English language?
- Buha wrote lyrics on English. As lyrics for first three songs was his, we continued this way. I also had some lyrics of my own. And continued to write new lyrics in English.
The album was particularly well accepted and critically acclaimed, as well as awarded. Do brag about it!
- Yes... Album won two „Porin“ awards (in a sense of being Croatian Grammy) in two categories, for best blues album and best compilation album. We are proud about it.
Three songs/videos were taken off that album - which songs you like the most and why?
- It is difficult to say which song do I like the most. But, maybe if I have to choose, let it be "Chocolate Fudge". Video and song, both.
Your work dynamic is very tight - in March you released 4th single "Elevator Blues" and a month ago 5th song "My Baby does it well" but none of the two were from the first album - it is all new material. Are we are talking about EP or new album?
- I hope so. We will continue to release singles until we will be ready for new album.
What is your opinion of making full length album in this digital era? Is it not easier to just release new songs?
- Depends of many factors. Digital releases are OK, but if you want to give your songs as a gift, it is much nicer to give a present. CD is better in this situation.
Promotion of the song "My Baby does it well" was a couple if months ago - how well was song accepted by the public? What is the feedback?
- So far, song is accepted well. Some songs are not recognized immediately after releasing.
Video for the song is somewhat secretive - is "My Baby" a love, a woman, a girl/boy or something entirely different?
- That I will leave to our listeners and video watchers. Everyone could make her/his own opinion. Harmonica in the video is only a symbol.
What status have Lee Oskar harmonicas? I heard you even know the manufacturer himself? You can brag about it.
- Lee Oskar shares our video in America.
Videos for your songs are very interesting storytelling, who makes them up?
- "Mean Woman" and "Chocolate Fudge" was filmed by Zoethrope Zagreb. Gordan Sirotić did everything. Screenplay, camera, directing. The idea for "Chocolate Fudge" is mine.
Screenplay for video "My Baby Does It Well" was written by Iva Bunčić. Directing, camera, editing by Vanja Stanković.
What is next in your life? Promotion of the song, work on album, live acts?
- We will continue to work. There are a few songs in recording process. For some only info recording exists. Others are in our minds. Hope more of them will come in future 😊